Magic Muffins.. I'v been seeing this recipe on my Malt-O-Meal boxes for years.. literally since I was a young girl. Never even thought twice about baking them. My mom always had this creamy whole wheat grain in a bowl for us with butter, milk and a sprinkling of sugar.. or as I liked it with a dollop of jam on top.
Now that school is out, and my kids have time for healthier prepared breakfasts I offered up a bowl of malt-o- meal for my younger girls. My brite daughter decided instead of in a bowl she wanted her
malt-o-meal in a muffin cup. I am so glad she brought this recipe to my attention! I prepared it just as written on the package with the exception of a dollop of jam stirred into the batter before baking.
The results where so yummy.. and I was SO surprised! My kids loved them, and even the day after warmed up with a spreading of butter on top they were still delicious. You've got to try these!!
I wasn't quite sure why the title "magic", except for how many disappeared so quickly!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Original Flavored Malt-O-Meal® hot wheat cereal®, dry
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients
- stir together until ingredients are just moistened.
- Spoon into a greased or paper-lined 12-cup muffin pan, filling cups ¾ full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Add and incorporate one 8.5-ounce can cream style corn to Magic Muffins recipe for Magic Corn Bread mix.
- Pour muffin mixture into a greased 13x9-inch pan and bake for 19 to 20 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- For Banana Magic Muffins add ¾ cup mashed bananas to basic ingredients and follow the basic muffin baking instructions.
Ciao my friends!!